Host your own 20th Century Book Club, and discuss Brave New World with these questions below:
1. Brave New World is a novel of ideas. How do the characters and the plot add to the radical ideas presented in the book?
2. Brave New World is supposed to be a Utopia. How would you define a Utopia? Do you think they're even possible, and if so, why does Brave New World fall short?
3. How does Brave New World satirize the present day? What particular vices and human failings does it target, and which characters embody these vices and failings?
4. Brave New World keeps asking how much it would cost to achieve the benefits of the new society. What are the benefits? Does Huxley think the price is high or low? Do you agree?
5. Discuss Huxley's attitude toward science. Does he think the brave new world uses it well? Does he think it's possible to use it well?
20th Century Book Club is about a fictional group of women, discussing real (fictional) books. Every month you'll see the story of their book club meeting, plus you'll have access to the book information and reader's guide if you'd like to do your 20th Century Book Club. Scroll all the way down to see the cast of characters and their profiles!