Things get intense in part 2, chapters 21-27, with an unplanned pregnancy and a tragic day at the horse races. All I can say is, poor Frou Frou.
- Vronksy visits his race horse, Frou Frou
Frou Frou understands
A throbbing heart must move and bite.
- Anna and Vronsky have a life-changing conversation
No, I can’t tell you.
Fine. Here it is: I’m preggers.
Now there’s no escape.
- Anna worries about leaving Seryozha (her son); Vronsky gives Anna some hard truth
We’ll figure this out.
Run away with me, Anna.
- Vronsky rides Frou Frou in the big race
Damn. I’m distracted.
Anna’s husband is watching.
How do I focus?
- Tragedy strikes at the horse race
Oh, my sweet Frou Frou
I lost you. Lost the race.
Worst day of my life.
- Another chapter about what a jerk Anna’s husband Alexey is
I always talk down
To Anna. Except, we don’t
Talk. Not alone, that is.
- Alexey gives Anna money for living expenses
He kisses my hand
I pretend to be happy
But I am repulsed